Part 50. Electrical & Steering

I have done some work on the wires. The wire harness is from the ’66 longnose since the original one was pretty much useless.

I labeled almost every wire as I removed it from the car. It’s infinitely easier to put it back to a car when you know which wire is which just by checking the label.

labels

But it also had a slight issue with some burnt wires..
short
I replaced the burnt section and checked all switches for potential shorts.

switches
One dirty lightswitch. One clean lightswitch.

wires
What a mess…

The steering column also needed some work so I took it apart for cleaning and painting:

column-1
The ignition lock and gear lever (and axle) removed.

column-3
Steering axle removed.

column-4
Ready for glass bead blasting.

column-5
Clean!

column-6
In primer.

column2
And painted.

gear-lever
I also painted the gear lever and the steering axle.
steering-axle

The steering mechanism was repaired a long time ago, so it was just a matter of installing it. Except that the rubber boot that protects the steering axle from dirt and water had been totally destroyed. I have no spare for it and couldn’t get one, so time to get inventive…

rubber-1
I cut a mitsubishi steering arm rubber boot in half and made the hole for the arm larger so it fits around the Saab axle.

rubber-2
I think that works pretty nice.

rubber-3
And a view from inside the cabin – works nice here too.

steering
suspension

____________________________

And then something totally different:

vesa-roadster
My friend Vesa’s junkyard roadster 😀

Leave a comment