We got the exhaust system done. It’s been strengthened and also some protective plates added to places that are going to be hit by gravel and stones from the front wheels.
The next order of business is putting the car on its wheels and move on to the interior and engine.
Here’s the completed front section of the rally exhaust.
The front mounting points.
And the rear mounting point just behind the rear axle.
Putting the Saab 95 wheel hub together to mount a tire (to figure out the silencer position):
Machined Saab 95 wheel hubs. The right hand one already has the inner bearing in place.
The inner cone.
And the cone where it belongs.
The outer bearing in place also. Ready to put on the car.
Now that I have the hub in place I can put a tire on and figure out the silencer size and position:
A 35 centimeter long silencer fits just fine.
The silencer upper mounting point. Pretty simple – some bend iron rod and mounting rubbers.
Here’s the final position for the silencer. As far back as possible.
Moving on to making the lower mounts. The front mount.
And making a bracket for the rear mount.
Both lower mounts done. That should be solid enough I think.
Figuring out how to route the pipe.
Time to strengthen the exhaust system to take the beating it will get:
Double L-shape angle irons are welded all the way through the exposed part of the pipes.
Stone protection for the upward bend. It will take a beating.
Stone protection from the rear. Just some double plating.
Not pretty – but I think it’s pretty solid.
The rear section. All the bolts will be ground short to reduce the chances of them being torn away.
Here’s to illustrate how much bigger pipes I put in. Putting in double port heads will not be a problem if I ever get around to it.
And look what the post man brought me! I’m already itching to start restoring the ’78 Turbo…
We started to make the exhaust system as it is much easier to do now that the car is still suspended on the ”grill”. After we get it done it’s time put in rest of the suspension, drop the car on it’s wheels, and start putting stuff in (like the dash, heating, etc.).
The exhaust system is basically an adaptation of the factory version. Two inch pipes routed out next to the gearbox, and into a 2.5 inch and strenghtened to take the beating.
Some photos of the work:
Fitting the passenger side exhaust pipe.
Quite a bit of work in routing the pipe under the battery and around the pillar.
The driver side pipe is much simpler.
The pipes exit next to the gearbox.
And the exits under the car.
Dad mocking up the 2.5 inch exhaust pipe.
The Y-shaped ”collector”.
We put in the strengthened mounts, swing arms, and axle to figure out the path for the exhaust pipes.
The Saab 95 rear axle.
I also painted the springs – regular V4 springs in front, the stronger 95 springs in rear.
Springs for the V4 Rally.
Just a few pics of painting the suspension etc.
Sorry about the picture quality, I didn’t have a camera with me so I used the cellphone.
The painting was pretty straightforward. Regular primer (single component) and black paint on that.
I’m brush painting everything with a two component primer as I move forward. The bare metal corrodes very easily due to humidity.
When everything is ready, I will spray on a new coat of (filling) primer that will then be sanded to get a distortion free surface (or as near so as possible).